When our guys were finally cleared to work, it was time for Coastal Foundation Solutions to transport all of the essential equipment for driving helical piles: trucks, trailers, excavators, and pile materials onto the site. Fortunately, as we specialize in helical pile technology, the transport portion of the project was relatively seamless. Only small trucks were necessary to move all the installation equipment into place. Our specialized fleet of micro equipment allowed us to access the confined site and perform the helical piling project, flawlessly.
ENGINEERED HELICAL PILES
A combination of thirty-four (34) new construction piers were chosen to stabilize the new home foundation. The helical pilings consisted of a “Chance” 10”/12”/14” lead section (2.875-inch OD by 0.203-inch wall) hollow round shaft with an configuration on the lead sections to sustain a design working tension load of 12 kips.
Our Caterpillar 305 CR excavator with a specialized hydraulic drive system powered by a 10k Pro-Dig drive head was utilized to install the foundation piling. The installation torque was continuously observed throughout the installation with a torque indicator. In addition, Russell and Russell provided quality pile monitoring on the project.
HELICAL FOUNDATION PILING
- The helical pile lengths ranged from 21’ to 84’ in depth. Upon completion of the helical pile installation, couplings and terminations were imbedded into a concrete footer.
- Thirty-Four (34) “Chance” 2 7/8” round shaft helical piles with an 10”-12” 14” triple-helix lead section were installed into substrate.
- The excavator progressed the extensions to lengths on the order of 21-84 feet to achieve final installation torques.
- The ultimate capacity design for the small wooden structure was a working compressive load of 12 kips.
- Seventy-two (72) “CHANCE” (RS2875.203) round helical extensions were installed to corresponding capacities to secure compression load design load requirements.
- A Hot Dipped Galvanized termination plate is then affixed on top of the pile and encased into the new concrete foundation.
With Coastal Foundation Solutions pile expertise, there is no hammering and little chance of debris shooting away and striking adjacent homes, windows or passenger cars. Alternate methods of foundation construction would have made a real mess of the surroundings, and disrupted adjacent structures.
The job was completed in just two days. This project was a great experience for our team, and provided an opportunity for Coastal Foundaiton Solutions to exceed the expectations of our client.